- This event has passed.
12 weeks pranayama and breath work course for all levels • London
Monday April 16th, 2018 - Monday July 2nd, 2018£156
This pranayama breathing and meditation 12 weeks course is for every yoga practitioners who would like to refine and progress their breath work alongside their physical practice. This course is a journey of self-development and is mainly practical.
The course is also ideal for all yoga and movement teachers who want to integrate safe pranayama and breath techniques into their classes. These sessions combine to form a 13-hour CPD (Continuing Professional Development) course with Yoga Alliance UK.
In Sanskrit prana means life force or breath and yama is translated as self-restraint or control. Thus pranayama is the study of how to control and observe our breath. Practicing breathwork can have a hugely positive psychological, healing, cleansing, meditative and calming influence on our body and mind. It is used to change old patterns and cultivate vitality. Learning to balance the breath helps us to balance the mind and consequently our lives.
- Indispensable tools that help us build a safe and strong physical practice.
- Develops body awareness, concentration, mindfulness, focus, and stamina.
- Decreases feelings of stress and tension.
- Soothes the nervous system.
- Aids muscle relaxation and pain management.
- Helps oxidize the blood and the respiratory system.
- Slows down the heart rate.
- Lowers and stabilizes blood pressure.
- Reduces anxiety and depression.
- Increases energy levels.
- Helps the fight against insomnia and sleeping disorders.
Structure of the course over 12 weeks:
- The anatomy of the breath / finding and preparing for the breath.
- The foundation breath: Mahat yoga pranayama/ prana, mudras and mantras.
- The purifying breaths: Bhastrika & kapalbhati. The bandhas (body locks).
- The rhythmical breath: Savitri pranayama and holistic development.
- The balancing and calming breaths: Nadi shodana, ujjayi and bhramari breaths.
- The breath for meditation and relaxation.
Training and certification:
- The structure of the course is designed to be easily comprehensible and accessible to all levels. You will gain a deep understanding of pranayama breathing in both theory and practice.
- You will study a step-by-step approach towards gaining a deep-seated foundation of pranayama breathing.
- You will gradually learn the safe way to discover the individual patterns in our breath, to work through the breath and integrate it therapeutically during our yoga practice or in your daily life.
- A certificate of attendance will be given at the end of the 12 weeks (for teachers).
- During and after the course, Laurent will be available to answer questions and give ongoing support to your self-practice and can provide teaching support and advice.
- The course is based on Dr. Swami Gitananada Saraswati’s yoga system.